This blog is a continuation of the previous blog post 10 Tips to Raise a Responsible Child – Part 1
6. Let her face consequences – If your teen hasn’t done her home work do not protect her by writing a diary note to her teacher. Let her face the consequences for the same. Make sure you talk to her calmly about it than pointing at her for that. It is very likely that she will be more responsible next time.
7. Get her to volunteer or join her into a sports team – This is the most effective way of engraining responsibility as they learn with their peers while having fun at the same time.
8. Rather than simply giving orders, try asking your child to do the thinking – Instead of yelling at your child to wake up, make their bed, take a bath and get ready to go to school, wake her up with a warm smile and a kiss. Then ask her what is the next thing she need to do to get ready for school.
9. Model responsibility and accountability – Children learn by seeing multiple times more quickly than by being told. If you expect you child to tidy his room before going to bed, you better do your own, no matter how tired you are. While in bus, get up and give your seat to the elderly or physically challenged. Switch off the forgotten common area lights of your apartment though it is the maintenance department’s job.
10. Create a No-Blame Household – Take charge of your life and that includes the smallest of situations. Blaming your kid urges him to kick start his natural defensive behaviour. They find reasons to prove it is not their fault. Instead help them own up to their deed. And remember, never ever label your child as “Irresponsible”.